Thursday 15 July 2010

Chennai - The City of ****

I happen to be in Chennai last month, for two days. I thank my star's that I booked tickets well in advance to travel in the air conditioned Shatabdi Express. As I walked from the platform to the main road, I could feel my shirt getting wet. By the time I got out of the station building, it was stuck to my body in such a way, that it could give some serious competition to FeviQuick.

There was I at 11:30 am, standing at the pre-paid taxi counter. Unfortunately, the gentleman at the counter said that there was no taxis available. It seems they were stuck in traffic in other parts of the city and were taking time to get to the station. Suddenly out of nowhere, a guy walks up to where we stood and started asking people where they wanted to go and some started negotiating as well. So taxis were available but people were made to stand in the heat, sweat and dirt, just to make some fast money. When some people asked at the counter as to what is happening, as the taxi drivers were offering their service, all we got in reply was "hmmm." A policeman was standing nearby looking at all of this and pretending to be ingorant. After suffering for 30 minutes, we walked further to a pre-paid auto stand, where we managed to get a trip to our destination. This is the welcome a tourist gets to one of the metropolitan cities in India.

I have known many people who come from Chennai and crib about the traffic and the pollution in Bangalore. Please guys, give us all a break !!!!. In Bangalore, you get to hear "20 Rs. more than meter". In Chennai, whats a meter. Why bother having them in autos. The traffic is killing and the weather adds fuel to fire and not to even mention the pollution. So I am sitting in an auto with the heat beating down on me, my shirt stuck to my body, profusely sweating and pollution all around me. For a moment, I thought how does life change in 6 hours. Only 24 hours back I went for a drive without switching on the AC and no need for even rolling down my windows and here I was getting roasted, baked and BBQed.

Despite knowing the language and having travelled to Chennai many times, I had no answer to any of this. I wonder what happens to tourists who come from Abroad. God help them or is Amma listening!!!

1 comment: